This is a follow up to my previous post about beginning grazing in Spring of 2018.
On Sunday 4/8/2018 I moved the horses into the fourth grazing paddock. This was the end of day nine with three paddock having been grazed for three days each. They went into the fourth paddock on Sunday Afternoon and will go to paddock five on Wednesday afternoon after I get home from work.
This is in spite of having yet another snow on Saturday night which was gone by mid day On Sunday…This winter is reluctant to release its grip on us….
In spite of all the cold weather we are still pretty dry in the Arid Zone of Virginia. Dry weather and cold temperatures have really delayed grass growth and as I go around the area and check cover crops I am not seeing that there has been a lot of corn planted yet…ground temperatures are just not warm enough.
Back to the topic at hand….these paddocks across the front of my place are about .15 to .2 acres each. They are divided by a single strand of polywire. Some had some cover crops broadcast in the fall but there is not really a lot of cover crop growth yet apparent. Sunday we went into the fourth of eight so we have four more paddocks to go in this strip or about another fifteen days grazing….
Here Pete poses for a demo of the just grazed grass along side the new paddock.
The crew was hanging out at the stable when I walked up there with the dogs to change the gates….When I got there Pete was right behind ma and Condi was not far behind. Perkins and the donks brought up the rear.
below is a close up of the just grazed paddock. They really left more residue than I have anticipated. There was four to six inches of residue left after having the whole herd on it for three days.
My assistant herdsman is shown below inspecting the just grazed paddock….actually he was looking for a chance to duck into the woods across the road, but he knew I was watching him..
As an aside, I planted a lot of native perennial flowers this week….I got an assortment of started plants from Gardens Gate Nursery and planted them in the burgeoning garden around our dog graves.
then I noticed that a lot of my crop buckets had not survived the winter. These are buckets that I have planted cover crops and other things in for over six or seven years now. My effort has been to keep something green and growing in them year round…often trimming the residue of one crop and using it as mulch on the new seeding.
With the dry and cold winter, the crops in many of these buckets did not survive for the first time in all the time I have been using them. I was suprised when I got them all together at how many buckets I am dealing with…29 in this row and a few others. some buckets have strawberries in them…three buckets of sedum…several with cool season cover crops which show what a bad year it has been in our area for cover crops…they should be at least twice as growthy as they are. And I have four buckets, two each planted to Eastern Gama Grass and Switchgrass.
I reworked eight of the buckets with dead stuff in them and planted seed of native perrenials…wildflower mix, columbine, rudbeckia, lupine, aster, borage, and two others that are chilling in the freezer and will be planted this week.
some of the remaining buckets will host tomatoes this summer.